Stocks ended mostly lower Friday but off session lows as investors assessed how the Federal Reserve will respond to data that showed the U.S. economy added 528,000 jobs in July, far exceeding the 258,000 expected by economists. Fed-funds futures traders penciled in a nearly 70% probability of a 75 basis point rate hike when policy makers meet in September, up from around 30% on Thursday. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose around 75 points or 0.2%, to close near 32,802, according to preliminary figures, while the S&P 500 shed 0.2% and the Nasdaq Composite declined 0.5%.
Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.
>>> Read the full story at MarketWatch.com - MarketPulse